Friday, November 11, 2011

"The $10 Coupon Fail." Or, "Marketing Lesson Number One."

"The Coupon Fail." Or, "Marketing Lesson Number One." Video Clips. Duration : 2.43 Mins.


I'm not one for sitting down on a Sunday morning and clipping 25-cent coupons out of the newspaper. Besides, those of you who follow my blog know that I don't get the newspaper any more. I don't go out of my way to look for deals, because I'm a buyer of convenience. If I see something I want, I get it. Like the Keurig coffee thing I just bought. I never drink coffee. I despise the taste. But I figured it would look good in the kitchen, so I bought it. After all, I could use it for iced tea. If I see a deal on one of these dime-a-dozen deal-of-the-day sites for a restaurant I frequent, I'll usually bite. If giving my email address gets me 20% off a single item at Bed, Bath & Beyond -- I'm in. One such deal I came across the other day was for the red sauce chain, Maggiano's. The promise of a coupon for joining their email list caught my eye since I occasionally visit the prepared-in-a-factory, served-on-a-plate Italian joint. Seconds after submitting the email address I use for such in-box cluttering promotions, an email arrived with a link for my coupon. As I started thinking about the heartburn the pomodoro sauce was going to induce, the excitement of the moment turned into a marketing person's nightmare. My ten bucks off suddenly turned into an unexpected error -- and a great topic for a blog post. If I remember correctly, rule number one of marketing is: "Test. Test again. Then keep on testing." Testing should not only include different creative, different ...

Keywords: maggianos, coupons, deal, of, the, day, coupon, marketing, fail

No comments:

Post a Comment